Cookies

This site uses cookies, for example to provide statistics, or to enable you to post comments. If you don't want that, please, adjust your personal browser to block cookies. (If you do so, the site might not run smoothly anymore.)
I apologise for any inconvenience.

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies, z.B. zum Erstellen von Statistiken, aber auch, um das Posten von Kommentaren zu ermöglichen. Ist dies unerwünscht, bitte den persönlichen Browser so einstellen, dass Cookies blockiert werden. (Es könnte sein, dass dadurch die Seite nicht reibungslos läuft.)
Ich entschuldige mich für eventuelle Unannehmlichkeiten.

16.10.2016

To Love (Part 1)

I've been blogging and tweeting about "Mord in Switzerland Band 2" (Murder in Switzerland volume 2) - Top 10 in the category "Swiss Writers" at the time of writing - so much that I thought you might like a taster from it. So, here goes. The beginning of my contribution "To Love".




The time has come. My hands akimbo, I look at my packed suitcase, the holdall beside it. If all goes well, I'll be home soon.

A nostalgic wicker picnic-case sits on the table; plates, glasses and cutlery held fast with brown leather straps. I've asked the hotel owner to prepare something tasty for Rita and me. Below the tartan blanket, he's packed bread, cheese and duck foie gras. I bought the sauce Cumberland yesterday and fixed the lid.
 
The River "Hintere Frenke" in Reigoldswil

The wine's also my choice. A Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chapoutier "Croix de Bois", 2005. Only the best is good enough for Rita. I open the bottle with my Swiss army knife, smell the cork.
The fruity fragrance floats into my nose, a perfect share of tannin. I lift the glasses from my suitcase and pour a sip into each, drink them dry, wrap them in a plastic bag, replace them uppermost in my suitcase, which I close carefully. I take two other, plastic wrapped glasses from my holdall, and strap them into the picnic-case.


After I've put the case into my backpack, there's just enough room left for the stoppered bottle. I put on my sports gloves. Shouldering the backpack, I grab my walking poles and go down to the dining room. One place by the window is still laid, although I turn up late for breakfast.

"Buenos dias, Señora Gschwind. Que tal la noche?" the waitress Leonida greets me.
"Muy bien. Gracias," I answer.
"So you return home today? We're gonna miss you," she continues in her mix of Basel dialect and Spanish accent I like so much.
"I'll miss you too. It was lovely to be able to chat in Spanish."
"Will you be back?"
 (To be continued)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen