Cookies

This site uses cookies, for example to provide statistics, or to enable you to post comments. If you don't want that, please, adjust your personal browser to block cookies. (Unfortunately, to my knowledge, Blogger doesn't provide any other means to acchieve this.) If you do so, the site might not run smoothly anymore.
I apologise for any inconvenience.

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies, z.B. zum Erstellen von Statistiken, aber auch, um das Posten von Kommentaren zu ermöglichen. Ist dies unerwünscht, bitte den persönlichen Browser so einstellen, dass Cookies blockiert werden. (Soweit ich weiss, gibt uns Blogger leider keine andere Möglichkeit, dies zu erreichen.) Es könnte sein, dass dadurch die Seite nicht reibungslos läuft.
Ich entschuldige mich für eventuelle Unannehmlichkeiten.

05.01.2013

Signposts (part 2)

On this trip, however, the gods were not with us. It had been raining since we'd set foot on Swiss ground, and so far we hadn't seen one petal of interest to us, let alone a whole orchid. At least the rain kept the hikers out of our way. So if we did find something, chances were we could pick it without anybody noticing.

Higher and higher we climbed. I felt watched. No, it was more. Menace was the word that sprang to my mind, although the forest was silent. Even the birds seemed to avoid this place. It was hard to describe and yet almost tangible, and with every step the foreboding grew.

"The Swiss have strange legends about what happens to people who steal from the forest," I tried again. "Do you want your hand to grow out of the grave?"

Mike stopped and stared at me. "What's wrong with you? The rumours of a curse didn't stop you from cutting that orchid off the wall of a Maya temple."

"There's something wrong with this place," I answered. "Something tells me we shouldn't be here."

"You've read too much Schiller. And anyway, that legend concerns illicit wood chopping. We're going to leave the trees alone. Promise." Shaking his head, Mike trudged on.

It was then that I thought I heard a child laugh. A family on an outing? I looked around. Everything remained quiet though; not even a breath of wind in the canopy. The only noises were the rain pelting on our jackets, rustling in the dead leaves on the ground and chattering in the foliage.

"There!" Mike cried and made me jump.
(To be continued)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen