Cookies

This site uses cookies, for example to provide statistics, or to enable you to post comments. If you don't want that, please, adjust your personal browser to block cookies. (If you do so, the site might not run smoothly anymore.)
I apologise for any inconvenience.

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies, z.B. zum Erstellen von Statistiken, aber auch, um das Posten von Kommentaren zu ermöglichen. Ist dies unerwünscht, bitte den persönlichen Browser so einstellen, dass Cookies blockiert werden. (Es könnte sein, dass dadurch die Seite nicht reibungslos läuft.)
Ich entschuldige mich für eventuelle Unannehmlichkeiten.

30.11.2012

The Next Big Thing


I've been asked to participate in a world wide web-project called "The Next Big Thing". Writers from different countries, ways of life and writing backgrounds answer the same ten questions about a work in progress.

The writer who passed the torch on to me, so to speak, is Mark Brandon Allen. He's working on a Science Fiction/Fantasy novel with the working title "On the River Dark". You can find more on him, his work and his entry here http://markbrandonallen.com/blog/the-next-big-thing/  and here http://markbrandonallen.com/category/blog/ .

Being superstitious, I don't usually talk about work in progress. So I chose a project on the brink of completion and hope you'll forgive me for stretching the boundaries. So here are my answers to the ten standard questions:




- What is the working title of your book?
"Mord in Switzerland" ("Murder in Switzerland")
- Where did the idea for your book come from?
"Mord in Switzerland" is the kind of project that is born when a group of crime writers have a day out together. A few lady friends and I were going to an exhibition at a museum. Over pizza and a glass of wine, the idea of an anthology with crime stories from various parts of Switzerland was hatched.

- What genre does your book fall under?
Crime in all its colourful diversity.

- Which actors would you choose to play characters in a movie rendition?
I'm notoriously bad at remembering actors' names, as my sister will gladly (and gleefully) confirm. My two protagonists are about fifteen years old, so I think I'd choose newcomers for their roles to let the story speak for itself. (How's that for an excuse?)
- What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Or story in my case.
A young photographer, suddenly the target of mysterious thefts, has to find out which of his pictures has brought the trouble along and why.
- Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
The anthology will be published by "Appenzeller Verlag", Herisau, Switzerland

- How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
My story is about 3'300 words long. As I have a day job, it took me about two weeks to complete the first draft.

- What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
It can be compared to many crime anthologies. But only ours was born over pizza and wine.

- Who or what inspired you to write this book (story)?
A serial arsonist is at large in the city where I live. The fact that that kind of criminal is often only caught because they make a mistake sparked the idea.

- What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
All the stories in the anthology are set in different Cantons of Switzerland. Each is written by a writer who lives and/or works there and knows that part intimately, and each will highlight the special charm and flavour of the region.


You can find other entries about "The Next Big Thing" from the following writers:

One of the authors I was able to win for the project is Jackie Buxton. You can find her entry on a chilling story about how one woman's moment of madness has massive reprecussions here:
http://jackiebuxton.blogspot.com

And here's the link to Joe Cowley's humerous travel narrative about his experiences in a career in overseas catering http://www.joecawley.co.uk/

And from the gifted writer Angela Planert comes this contribution in German. I'ts a Vampire story with a difference.
http://angela-planert.blogspot.de/2013/01/the-next-big-thing.html

Tom Zai has just finished a crazy story about two lovers in Paris. Look for yourselves:
http://www.tomzai.ch/pages/posts/the-next-big-thing-130.php

And finally, this is the link to poet Gwyneth Box's entry "Hope Street": http://bit.ly/XuhsIf  It's a kind of a novella in poetry. An interesting project worth checking-out.

Enjoy!

Kommentare:

  1. That does sound interesting! Did you know which of the photos was the troublemaker before you started or did the story write itself? I love hearing where other people's ideas have come from and your answer shows that we should never deprive ourselves of a date with friends! I might have to steal your answer to the question on actors to fulfil the roles - I, too, am ridiculously bad at remembering names, even with a perfect picture of the actor in question in my head, not to mention a list of their recent films...

    Many thanks for thinking of me for your list of future bloggers on this. I will, I will, I will write my post tomorrow!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I knew which photo it would be.
      Although I don't plan in detail, I usually know where I'm going and what clues or red herrings to use. I also mull the ideas over a great deal before I begin to write.

      Am looking forward to tagging your link! Thanks for participating. Am wondering where this might lead.

      Löschen
  2. Thanks Karin, just to let you know that my post is now up! It's http://jackiebuxton.blogspot.com. Thanks again for thinking of me.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Jackie! I've added your link. THX so much for the flattering introduction. You made me blush!
      Your project sounds extremely thrilling. Let me know when it's out, so I can get it. Good luck with it.

      Löschen