Cookies

This site uses cookies, for example to provide statistics, or to enable you to post comments. If you don't want that, please, adjust your personal browser to block cookies. (If you do so, the site might not run smoothly anymore.)
I apologise for any inconvenience.

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies, z.B. zum Erstellen von Statistiken, aber auch, um das Posten von Kommentaren zu ermöglichen. Ist dies unerwünscht, bitte den persönlichen Browser so einstellen, dass Cookies blockiert werden. (Es könnte sein, dass dadurch die Seite nicht reibungslos läuft.)
Ich entschuldige mich für eventuelle Unannehmlichkeiten.

04.12.2011

Run (part 4)

There were still some hours to kill. I'd never been to Robin Hood Country before and so had a
good look around. Pity I didn't have enough money to visit any attractions. I'd have loved to
see the caves. As it was, I strolled through the streets, had a burger somewhere and finally sat
down to watch the skateboarders in the Old Market Square. Some of them rode a  hot board.
Pity I hadn't brought mine.



Were they missing me already at home? Were they phoning around trying to find me? I was
certain of one thing: they'd be shouting. Would they come together again? United in sorrow?
Hardly.


"Hey mate."

Kevin was standing behind me. I hadn't noticed it was already past four. Happy to see him I
slapped his outstretched hand. Now everything would be fine.

He heard me out, then sat in silence for a while.

"You know," he said finally, "when my parents first talked about divorce, I thought the world
would end."

"And?" I pushed when he didn't go on.

Kevin shrugged. "It was hard having to move and find new friends and everything. At first I
thought I'd never see my father again, because he moved down to Cornwall for his new job.
But hey, I see almost more of him now. When they were together, he was mostly out working,
and when he was at home they were fighting. Now they get on much better. Imagine, we've
decided to get together for Christmas, Mum, me and Dad with his new girlfriend. Well, he
calls her his partner."

We both grinned.

"But the best thing is," he nudged me in the ribs, "he lives only minutes away from St. Ives.
Great for holidays."

I had to laugh. Thinking that my family was about to be torn apart was painful. Nevertheless,
I felt lighter. According to Kevin there was some good in everything – like parents who were
no longer shouting.

Also, my parents wouldn't live as far apart from each other as Kevin's had to. Dad still had his
job and Mum's relatives lived nearby. Who were we going to stay with? After all, I loved them
both. Would Jan and I also be able to enjoy being with Dad more often once everything was
settled?

With all those questions swarming around in my head and queuing to be worked out, I
realised I had a job to do. I had to make us all sit down for a powwow! We needed to
negotiate the terms for a truce. It wouldn't do anymore to just scowl at each other, escape
into music or skateboarding. No more running away!
 
"Come on, let's go home for tea," I heard Kevin say.

I nodded. "Just let me make a call first. There are some people who need to know I'm fine."
THE END

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen